Welcome to Meaford’s CanSkate program. Below you will find all of the necessary information needed to join CanSkate. You can also use this link to download and print the information package – Can Skate Registration Package / Registration Form
Canskate 2 day weekly: Program fee $249 + Skate Canada fee $36 = $285 (equals $6.62/night)
Canskate 1 day weekly: Program fee $169 + Skate Canada fee $36 = $205 (equals $9.31/night)
When does my child skate?
Skating starts on Tuesday October 10,, 2017 and runs through until Tuesday March 27, 2018. Skating is cancelled during the school Christmas holidays & March break.
CanSkate Program FAQ
Tuesdays & Fridays 6:10 pm – 6:55 pm
Please refer to “Important Dates” for cancellations/special events/fundraiser etc.
Who is the CanSkate Coach?
The Program Director and Professional Coach of our Can Skate Tuesday program is Vanessa Hensel.
Who will be working with my child each week?
At the beginning of our season Vanessa Hensel will be assessing the skill level of each child in CanSkate and placing the children in the appropriate skill group. A Program Assistant will be assigned to each group of children and will assist Vanessa in teaching the necessary skills at each level. Teaching is taught through interactive games, movement and music.
What you will need for the CanSkate program:
- Warm clothes that allow easy movement of arms and legs
- Warm mitts – ones that wick away the water, not cotton.
- Properly fitted skates
- Properly fitted helmet-All skaters in the CanSkate Programs Beginner to Stage 5 must wear a CSA approved helmet to be permitted on the ice, no exceptions.
- Registration fees & bond cheques must be received before your child(ren) are allowed on the ice.
What to pack in your skating bag:
- Extra mittens – ones that wick away the water, not cotton.
- Clean, dry towel for drying blades after each session, paper towels don’t soak up well enough.
- Skate guards- do not put guards back on your skates after you have skated, keep them off to allow for your blades and guards to dry.
- CSA approved Helmet. Bike helmets are NOT allowed.
What do I do when I arrive at the arena?
You can get your skates on in the lobby at the benches provided. Once the skaters are ready for the session they are to line up at the ice entrance. No skaters are permitted to enter the ice surface until the CanSkate director comes to the door and asks them to go on. Parents and/or someone designated by a child’s parent must remain at the arena with their children during the skating session.
Please note that no one is permitted on the ice surface with or without skates unless they are registered and paid in full.
All communication will be sent to parent via email. This includes all newsletters, volunteer schedules, special event notices, and general club communication. In an effort to do our part for the environment, we are going green. Therefore paper copies will not be given out. If you do not have access to email, a copy of all communication will be posted on the skating club’s bulletin board at the far end of the lobby for you to review. If we do not have your email address yet please provide it to Kristin Davies ASAP to ensure you are receiving the information.
Fundraising & Your Volunteer Hours
Fundraising / Volunteer Hours *New less hours required and reduced bond cheque amounts*
Two day Canskate = 9 hours of volunteer time (or buyout of $150)
One day Canskate = 8 hours of volunteer time (or buyout of $150)
2nd child enrolled in skating = 5 hours of volunteer time (or buyout of $100)
Hours or fundraising may be done by family members or friends.
Belonging to the Board and any work of the Board does not constitute volunteer hours.
If you choose the Volunteer Option your bond cheque must be dated March 31, 2018. If you choose the buyout option your cheque must be dated October 11, 2017.
Fundraising is really important for the existence of the M.A.A.A. (Meaford Skating Club). In order to keep registration costs down, we have to all pull together and do our part to fundraise each year to offset projected deficits.
Here are a few of our major fundraisers that you can help with;
- Meaford Fall Fair BBQ – Saturday September 2 – 8am – 4pm. Volunteers are needed to work at the BBQ.
- Annual Apple Harvest Craft Show – we are in need of volunteers for security over night as well as door volunteers during the day. Friday September 29 – Sunday October 1. Did you know that the M.A.A.A Skating Club staffs the ticket booth at the Craft Show each year? You might ask yourself why we do it. Well it is simple it actually works as a fundraiser for us. Each year when we staff the ticket booths the Craft Show donates $1000.00 to the M.A.A.A. That’s amazing! Plus, when you work a shift, you get a free ticket into the craft show, and it counts towards your volunteer hours.
- MacMillans campaign – mid November – fundraising hours awarded
- Basket of Cheer Lotto – fall fundraiser. Each parent sells tickets/provides product. Fundraising hours awarded
Parents will be assigned shifts for all fundraisers. If you have a preference of times please make sure that you sign up early.
What is Ice Dreams?
Ice Dreams is our local area skating competition. Every year a different town in our region hosts the Ice Dreams competition. This year Ice Dreams will be in Saugeen Shores at The Plex. It is being held on the weekend of January 20-21, 2018. We will be holding an information session and registration night for Ice Dreams in November. Each skater can participate and compete in Ice Dreams from the smallest CanSkater to our Senior skaters. There is a registration fee required and specific events that skaters may participate in. You will need to discuss participating with your child’s coach. It is the parent’s responsibility to register their child for Ice Dreams. If you do not attend the Ice Dreams registration night, and fill out all required forms and make payment then your child will not be registered in the competition. Information on registration will be sent out in the newsletter. For more information please speak with your coach or Kristin Davies.
Who do I talk to about concerns with the program?
Our club has an email address for all inquiries; please feel free to contact us at any time. All inquiries MUST go to this email.
Looking forward to seeing you at the rink!
Meaford Skating Club